[R] 3D plot

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Fri Feb 19 09:05:47 CET 2010

On 02/19/2010 03:43 AM, David A.G wrote:

> Dearl list,
>
> can anyone point me to a function or library that can create a graph similar to the one in the following powerpoint presentation?
>
> http://bmi.osu.edu/~khuang/IBGP705/BMI705-Lecture7.ppt
>
> (pages 36-37)
>
> In order to try to explain the graph, the way I see it in R terms is something like this:
>
> the "p-q" axis is a vector of positions (for example, seq(0,5000000,1))
> the "Chr1-Chrx" is a vector of units, in this case chromosomes (so something like seq(1,10,1))
> the plotted data is observations for each unit at each position
>
> I guess the fancy gradient on the highest peaks is tougher to get (knowing I am not an R expert), but just plain blue would suffice.
>
> I have checked some of the graphs in the R graph gallery but I don´t think any of them would work

Hi Dave,
This is a sort of 2.5D plot, with each chromosome being a 2D plot spaced
out on the z axis. If we assume that it is a static viewpoint, it would
be a case of drawing the parallelogram "base", then overlaying a
sequence of polygons with the appropriate offset to give the 3D
appearance. My eyeball says that there is no perspective correction.

Doable, but I would advise asking on the Bioconductor mailing list first.

Jim