[R] Contingency Table - output to odfWeave not working for matrix

Polwart Calum (County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust) calum.polwart at nhs.net
Sat Feb 20 14:49:11 CET 2010

Hi guys I'm hoping someone can help me with this.  It should be easy but it seems to get stuck for no obvious reason!  I am trying to set a report up in odfWeave so that we can re-run the same analysis at 3 time points as the data matures and provide an 'instant' report.

To simplify the situation we have two pieces of data: site_id (numerical value 1-9) and reaction (categorical Y or N).

mydata=""
mydata$site_id = rep(1:9, 15)
mydata$reaction = rep(c("Y","N","N","Y","N"),27)

until now I've simply used the command:

with (mydata, table (site_id, reaction))

to give me a 'table' that looks like this:

       reaction
site_id N Y
      1 9 6
      2 9 6
      3 9 6
      7 9 6
      8 9 6
      9 9 6

I can pass that as plain text to odf, but I want to make it a properly formatted table.

Executing odfTable(with (mydata, table (site_id, reaction)))  results in: Error in UseMethod("odfTable") : no applicable method for "odfTable", which I assume is because the output of table is not a dataframe, vector or matrix which is what odfTable needs.  So I got more creative - but nothing is working they way I want it :-(

odfTable(
  as.vector (
     with (mydata, table (site_id, reaction))
 )
)
Produces a table with 9 9's and 9 6's in a vertical column...

odfTable(
  as.data.frame (
     with (mydata, table (site_id, reaction))
 )
)

Doesn't error but produces a table similar to this:
   site_id reaction Freq
1        1        N    9
2        2        N    9
3        3        N    9
4        4        N    9
15       6        Y    6
16       7        Y    6
17       8        Y    6
18       9        Y    6

Both of the above are how they appear at the command prompt so not odfWeave doing anything wrong...

odfTable(
  as.matrix (
     with (mydata, table (site_id, reaction))
 )
)

At the command prompt this looks the same as the original output so looks like it might work!  BUT  odfWeave complains Error in UseMethod("odfTable") : no applicable method for "odfTable"  -- but its a matrix and odfWeave is supposed to be able to handle matrices?  Anyone got any suggestions?