[R] Newbie woes with par:mar

Dimitri Shvorob dimitri.shvorob at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 20:51:34 CET 2010

I have a simple barchart with horizontal bars and horizontal tick labels,
produced with

barplot(x, horiz = T, names.arg = c, las = 1)

The labels are longish strings, truncated on the plot. I wish to leave more
space for the left margin, and experiment with mar parameter,

barplot(x, horiz = T, names.arg = c, las = 1, mar = c(5, 15, 4, 2))

trying various values for the second vector element, but do not notice any
change. Consulting this nice tutorial

http://research.stowers-institute.org/efg/R/Graphics/Basics/mar-oma/index.htm

has not helped. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.