[R] R on 64-Bit…

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 00:34:41 CET 2010

On Feb 21, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Axel Urbiz wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I know this issue came up in the list several times.  I’m currently
> running
> R on 32-bit on Windows and due to memory limitation problems would
> like to
> move to a 64-bit environment.  I’m exploring my options and would
> appreciate
> your expertise:
>
> 1)      Windows 64-bit: Prof. Brian Ripley recently posted the
> experimental
> built of R for win 64-bit. I’ll appreciate any feedback on anyone
> who has
> been testing this. He also mentioned that for now, “...this as only
> being of
> interest for those who only use a few relatively simple packages”.
> But if
> one uses packages beyond those “relatively simple”, how possible is
> today to
> have those installed?
>
> 2)      MacOS or Unix.  Sorry for my ignorance on this
> but if I use any of
> these environments on 64-bit and  installed R on any of those, this
> is all I
> need to have R working on 64-bit. How about installing specialized
> packages?
> Are the packages on the CRAN repositories “ready tho use” on these
> systems
> or do I have to do any additional work to get them going?

MacOS version of R from the att.research site can be run 64 bit as
either a Terminal launched console or from the R64.app GUI. My
experience is with the 64-bit GUI. Most packages are available as
binaries on CRAN these days. The GUI offers a Package Installer so it
really quite intuitive. It used to be that you often needed to compile
from source, which wass still pretty easy if you have the necessary
Apple and other tools from the att.research site. The source
compilation generally proceeds automagically.  My work machine uses
its 16GB very well. Occasionally it maxes out and paging to disk slows
down computation for a bit, but eventually the garbage collection
kicks in and cleans things up. Overall a very capable environment.