[R] R on 64-Bit…

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Feb 22 07:01:03 CET 2010

Axel Urbiz wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I know this issue came up in the list several times.  I’m currently
> running
> R on 32-bit on Windows and due to memory limitation problems would like to
> move to a 64-bit environment.  I’m exploring my options and would
> appreciate
> your expertise:
>
> 1)      Windows 64-bit: Prof. Brian Ripley recently posted the
> experimental
> built of R for win 64-bit. I’ll appreciate any feedback on anyone who has
> been testing this. He also mentioned that for now, “...this as only being
> of
> interest for those who only use a few relatively simple packages”.  But if
> one uses packages beyond those “relatively simple”, how possible is today
> have those installed?

As far as I know, the problems with running 64-bit R on windows are due to
the lack of a well-developed, 64 bit minGW compiler.  Therefore I would
imagine that the packages that may have trouble installing under the
experimental 64 bit build are those that include either C or Fortran source
code that needs to be compiled.  You may also find that you need to compile
packages yourself-- prebuilt 64 bit versions for windows may not be
available on CRAN.

Axel Urbiz wrote:

> 2)      MacOS or Unix.  Sorry for my ignorance on this
but if I use any of
> these environments on 64-bit and  installed R on any of those, this is all
> need to have R working on 64-bit. How about installing specialized
> packages?
> Are the packages on the CRAN repositories “ready tho use” on these systems
> or do I have to do any additional work to get them going?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Axel.

MacOS/Unix/Linux shouldn't have a problem with running 64 bit R and building
64 bit R packages-- this is because the GNU project provides a very mature
set of 64 bit compilers that these systems can use.  I personally use 64 bit
R on Mac OS and have had no problems developing and installing packages for
the 64 bit system.

-Charlie