[R] how to make R plot under Linux

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 23 00:34:13 CET 2010

Saeed Abu Nimeh wrote:
> Try to install xming in your windows box
> http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/. Make sure to run xming
> before plotting.
> Saeed
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM, xin wei <xinwei at stat.psu.edu> wrote:
>> hi, Guys:
>> thank you so much for all the suggestion. Now I seem to be able to set up
>> x11 forwarding in PUTTY. however, I still could not get plot and I get the
>> following error msg:
>>
>>  Error in function (display = "", width, height, pointsize, gamma, bg,  :
>>  X11 I/O error while opening X11 connection to 'localhost:20.0'
>>
>> Is this error msg indication of lack of appropriate plotting package on the
>> server or the server is not properly set up for X11 forwarding?
>>
>> thanks

The main point here is that none of this is to do with R. It is all
about setting up the ssh connection properly. You are at a university
and there should be a linux guru or at least someone else in the
department who can assist. Someone set up the linux machine where R is
running, they will know this stuff.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics