[R] export graphics for editing in Illustrator

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Tue Feb 23 14:00:09 CET 2010

Ivan Calandra wrote:
> Dear R users,
>
> I would like to edit my graphics in Illustrator. I know that I can set
> up almost every graph parameter in R, but the time I will spend
> searching for the correct settings might not be worth since I'm quite
> used to Illustrator and since I will in any case use Illustrator to
> prepare for publication.
>
> Up to now, I've used savePlot() with type=("eps") but I'm unable to
> dissociate every part of the plot in Illustrator.
>
> Is there a better way to do it? Another function, another package, or
> a completely different approach? I'm of course open to all suggestions.
>
> For info, I run R2.10 on Windows XP
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ivan

Hi,

I mostly use pdf to store my results from R. In R code it would look like:

pdf("bla.pdf")
plot commands...
dev.off()

I can read these pds into Inkscape (opensource vector drawing program)
and edit all the indvidual lines and such. I can imagine Illustrator
should also be able to read these pdfs.

cheers,
Paul

--