[R] Error with KNN

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Feb 23 15:39:34 CET 2010

On 23.02.2010 05:34, Nancy Adam wrote:

> Hi Uwe,
> Thank you for your email.
> I need to compute one value indicating to the performance of knn but I don’t know anything other than MSE. Can you please tell me how I do that?

Hi Nancy,

since knn is a classification method, I think MSE is a rather untypical
measure. It is more usual to use a misclassification rate based on cross
validation, bootstrap - or at least a test data set.

See packages "caret" and "ipred" for functions that make it easy to
calculate a cross validated misclassification error for knn on your
data, for example.

Best wishes,
Uwe