[R] adding infrequent date labels to x-axis

emorway emorway at engr.colostate.edu
Tue Feb 23 20:58:55 CET 2010

Hi Hrishi,

With regard to the post you helped me out with, I've got my graph almost
dialed in the way I would like it.  There was one more small thing my
searches have been unable to turn up.  I've tried searching with "stagger
labels" "offset Labels" "alternate labels" to no avail.

the pertinent lines of code I'm basing my question on are:
m2<-ticks.lab=="Feb"|ticks.lab=="May"|ticks.lab=="Aug"|ticks.lab=="Nov"
Axis(x,at=ticks.at[m2],side=1,labels=ticks.lab[m2],las=1,cex.axis=0.75,tick=F,padj=-2)

I would prefer to use cex.axis=1, but because the labels crowd each other it
doesn't place them all.  Is there a command I can use that would essentially
stagger the labels?, like so...

   |   (Graph Area)
    May      Nov      May     Nov
          Aug      Feb      Aug     Feb