[R] Odp: Question:How to get rid of missing values

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Feb 24 16:10:26 CET 2010

Hi

Maybe factor strikes again.

r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 24.02.2010 15:21:50:

> Hi,
>
> I want to draw a pie chart of level (variable) for each ID (variable). I
have
> a big dataset, here I attach part of it.
>

> ID level
> 1 G1
> 1 A1
> 1 A1
> 1 G1
> 1 G1
> 1 G1
> 1 A1
> 1 A1
> 1 G1
> 1 G1
> 1 G3
> 1 A1
> 1 G1
> 1 A1
> 1 A1
> 1 A2
> 1 A2
> 1 M
> 1 A1
> 1 G1
> 1 A1
> 1
>
> 1
>
> 1 A2
> 1 G3
> 1 A1
> 1 A1
> 1 A1
> Below is my r code:
> level <- na.exclude(level)

Did you attach your dataset before? If not from where you have got your
"level" variable.

> level.table <- table(level)
> level.sum <- sum(level.table )
> lbls <- round(level.table /level.sum*100,1)

prop.table(table(level))*100

seems to be better choice

> lbls <- paste(lbls,"%",sep="")

pie(level.table,labels=lbls,col=rainbow(length(level.table)),radius=0.5,cex=0.9)

> The problem is the na.exclude function does not work here. Is it the
reason
> that my missing values are not 'NA's but blank? How can I get the pie
chart

Probably yes. If level is a factor you could check by

levels(level)

If there is "" level you can change it to NA

level[level==""] <- NA

or maybe to set NA values during reading your data see ?read.table

Than na.* functions shall work as expected.

Regards
Petr

BTW, piechart is not encouraged by many people here. You probably can have
better options with R how to compare data.