[R] R error- "more columns than column names"

Euphoria yeshapatel83 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 22:14:08 CET 2010

Hi all! I am desperately trying to figure out the solution to this error, but
nothing as of yet is working.

As noted in an earlier post I am using GenABEL.  In an attempt to read in
the phenotype file, in the format .dat, R keeps giving me the error "more
columns than column names"

I have tried to read in the data without the headers; I have also tried to
trim the data to remove any trailing tabs or spaces but it doesn't solve the
problem.  All missing values have been replaced with "NA", and all data
seems to have matching corresponding header value - each column has a
matching column name.

What could be the possible underlying problem? I have tried to problem-solve
but clearly I am at a loss. Thanks for your help!

Code:
 mix <- load.gwaa.data (phe = "Z:/CCFPhenotypesTAB.dat", gen =
"pedmap-0.raw", force = T)