[R] locfit: max number of predictors?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Feb 25 18:19:41 CET 2010

Well, I should think there's an obvious (if not elegant) way to test it:

n <- 5e3
m <- 20
x <- matrix(runif(n * m), nrow=n)
y <- rnorm(n)

require(locfit)
fit <- locfit.raw(x[, 1:10], y)

The code above took a while on my laptop, and ended up giving some error
I don't understand.  Not sure if the error was caused by insufficient
sample size, or some inherent limitation.  At least it didn't choke on
five variables.  However, if all 20 columns of x is used, locfit.raw()
will choke because it can't compute the dimension of some variable that
it needs to allocate memory for.

I had vague recollection of reading that "5" is the limit somewhere.
Unfortunately my copy of Local Regression and Likelihood has been MIA
for a few years, so I can't check there.  In any case it doesn't seem
like the number of data points and/or computing power are bigger issue.

Andy