[R] Normal distribution (Lillie.test())

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Feb 25 18:49:35 CET 2010

The t-test is even more standard fare, but I am not familiar with any textbooks that suggest that you use it for categorical data.  I just want people to think about what their question really is and if the test they are tempted to use really answers the right question.

Recommendations change, but they change much slower if nobody pushes for the change.  When I took my first intro stat class the standard procedure for a comparison of 2 means was to first test for equality of variance (sometimes using an alpha=0.2), then do a pooled t-test or an approximate t-test based on the results.  Current intro text books have switched to just suggesting the use of the approximate test (with better approximations now that we have computers to do the ugly formulas) and not bother with a variance test, or maybe use a rule of thumb variance test.  In some cases the pooled test is not even mentioned.

I am not saying to never use a test of normality, but I think many cases of doing normality tests (especially with large sample sizes and on residuals from a regression) are like the drunk looking for his keys under the light post rather than near where he dropped them because the light is better.  Doing a normality test is easy, but often it is answering the wrong question.

My hope is that the textbooks someday will move to suggesting the methodology implemented in the vis.test function (TeachingDemos package, note that the credit for this idea should go much more to the authors listed in the references section than to the function author).  I think that test answers a much more useful question of close enough.  And even the process of getting a significant p-value from that test may give the user confidence to conclude close enough.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org