[R] Alternatives to linear regression with multiple variables

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Feb 25 23:15:57 CET 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 7:46 AM, Guy Green wrote:

> I wonder if someone can give some pointers on alternatives to linear
> regression (e.g. Loess) when dealing with multiple variables.
>
> Taking any simple table with three variables, you can very easily
> get the
> intercept and coefficients with:
> 	summary(lm(read_table))
>
> For obvious reasons, the coefficients in a multiple regression are
> quite
> different from what you get if you calculate regressions for the
> single
> variables separately.  Alternative approaches such as Loess seem
> straightforward when you have only one variable, and have the
> advantage that
> they can cope even if the relationship is not linear.
>
> My question is: how can you extend a flexible approach like Loess to a
> multi-variable scenario?  I assume that any non-parametric calculation
> becomes very resource-intensive very quickly.  Can anyone suggest
> alternatives (preferably R-based) that cope with multiple variables,
> even
> when the relationship (linear, etc) is not known in advance?

Frank Harrell illustrates several methods for appropriate
consideration and computation of non-linear relationships in a
regression framework. His book "Regression Modeling Strategies" has
been uniformly praised by the people to whom I have recommended it. At
one point he compares graphically the effect measures using a 2-d
loess fit to that achieved with a crossed regression spline approach.

Another text that demonstrates R-implemented multiple dimensional non-
(or semi-)parametric regression approaches is Simon Wood's
"Generalized Linear Models". I have less experience with the methods
in that text, but hope to increase my familiarity in the future, since
it would extend the types of models I would have access to.

And Andy has mentioned "Local Regression and Likelihood" by Loader,
which if you use Bookfinder.com will save you $30 off the $90 price in
Amazon at the moment. (No financial interests to declare.)

I surnise that the geospatial applications are of necessity dealing
with 2 and 3 dimensional data arrangements so you might took at their
Task View and mailing list archive for worked examples and advice.

--
David