[R] RODBC looping sql script

Jason Gasper Jason.Gasper at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 26 02:41:02 CET 2010

Dear R users,

I am querying an Oracle database using sqlQuery()  from the RODBC
package. What I would like to do is embed my R Sql query in a for loop.
For example
suppose the data.frame "vessel" contains two columns: vessel[,1]= vessel
id and vessel[,2]=permit year

I am using  "vessel" as an input in a SQL based function that require
inputs of permit year and vessel id as described below:

query<-"Select * From vessel Where common.utility(vessel ID,vessel year)"

final<-sqlQuery(channel,paste(query))

Now suppose I want to loop through my vessel table such that the vessel
ID and vessel year  corresponds with  i:

for (i in 1:length(vessel[,1])) {
query<-"Select * From vessel Where common.utility(vessel[i,1],vessel
year[i,2])"
"
final<-sqlQuery(channel,paste(query))

}
Ignoring the fact I didn't include code to create and ever expanding
final table for loop,  does anyone know how to index inside the Where
clause of a sql statement (i.e., common.utility(vessel[i,1],vessel
year[i,2])?

--
Jason Gasper
National Marine Fisheries Service