[R] two questions for R beginners

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Fri Feb 26 10:11:18 CET 2010

Since you want input from beginners, here are some thoughts

I had and still have two big problems with R:
- this vectorization thing. I've read many manuals (including R
inferno), but I'm still not completely clear about it. In simple
examples, it's fine. But when it gets a bit more complex, then...
Related to it, the *apply functions are still a bit difficult to
understand. When I have to use them, I just try one and see what
happens. I don't understand them well enough to know which one I need.
- the second problem is where to find the functions/packages I need.
There are many options, and that's actually the problem. R Wiki, Rseek,
RSiteSearch, Crantastic, etc... When you start with R, you discover that
the capabilities of R are almost unlimited and you don't really know
where to start, where to find what you need.

As noted in earlier posts, the mailing list is really great, but some
people are really hard with beginners. It was noted in a discussion a
few days ago, but it looks like some don't realize how difficult it is
at the beginning to formulate a good question, clear, with
self-contained example and so on. Moreover, not everybody speaks English
natively. I don't mean that you must help, even when the question is
really vague and not clear and whatever. I'm just saying that if you
don't want to help (whatever the reason), you don't have to say it
badly. But in any cases, the mailing list is still really helpful. As
someone noted (sorry I erased the email so I don't remember who), it
might be a good idea to split it.

Hope that's what you wanted
Ivan