[R] two questions for R beginners

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Fri Feb 26 16:00:09 CET 2010

Honestly what I remember as the most difficult thing when I 'first'
started using R was figuring out how to read in my own datasets.  I
eventually discovered the R import/export manual, but somehow this alluded
me initially.  All the R "tutorials" I was working from simply "generated"
data or used the built in datasets, and "I" was ready to work on my own
datasets.

The things that led from "frustration" to "independence" was understanding
the difference between data types like matrix and dataframe and learning
there were commands to tell what you were working with at any given time.
Did the data read in as character, numeric, or factor, etc.  Commands
like: str, class, mode, ls, search, help, help.search, etc can help you
figure out what you are doing.

Rob