[R] two questions for R beginners

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Fri Feb 26 16:18:28 CET 2010

Ivan Calandra wrote:
> You are definitely right...
> What to do with bad beginner's questions is not a simple issue.
>
> If a "beginner's mailing list" is created, who will answer to such
> questions? And moreover, the beginners won't take advantage of the other
> questions (I've personally learned a lot trying to understand the
> questions and answers to other's problems). And also, as you said, the
> problems might persist.
> The beginner's mailing list might be good in one aspect though: the
> "experts" who subscribe to it would be willing to help the beginners to
> get started with R, knowing that the questions might not be clearly stated.
>
> As you pointed out, the mailing list is not the best for basic stuff
> (the question is of course "what is basic?"). Not everybody knows some
> colleagues who work with R (I'm personally the 1st one to use R in my lab).
> I think, somehow and I have no idea how, documentation and guidance to
> search for help should be more accessible as soon as you start with R.
> Maybe a _*clear*_ section on the R homepage or in the "introduction to
> R" manual like "where to find help", including all of the most common
> and useful resources available (from "?" and RSiteSearch() to R Wiki and
> Crantastic).

Hi Ivan (and list),

I think the main problem is not as much that there isn't structure in
the way R provides documentation / tutorials, but that people have a
hard time finding the structure. There are task views for certain
specific fields, but I think a lot of beginners do not know that they
exist. There are separate mailing lists for specific fields, but I often
see geographical (my field of expertise) oriented questions on R-help
that would fit much better on R-sig-geo.

So I think a "O my God, I've downloaded R and what now" tutorial might
be a good idea to put very close to the download button of R on CRAN.
This tutorial would focus not on how to do things in R, but would
provide guidance to the most obvious sources of information such as Task
views, specific mailing lists, ways to search list archives, information
for beginners how to write a good e-mail etc. I think for a lot of
beginners it is not as much the answer to a specific question that they
need, but more guidance how to look for answers themselves.

But at the end of the day, R is still not very easy to learn when coming
from GUI oriented stats programs. In addition, to become reasonably
fluent in R, you need spend at least a few hours a week on it. SO I
think we can ease the pain for beginners, but not take away that it
takes quite some time to become fluent in R.

cheers,
Paul

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography