[R] text editors

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Feb 26 18:31:18 CET 2010

Dwayne Blind wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Do you use a text editor ? What would you recommend for Windows users ?
> What
> about Tinn-R ?
>
> Thank you very much,
> Dwayne

Learning a text editor is a significant and very valuable investment of your
time.  In order to maximize the return from this investment you will want to
choose an editor that works well with all the languages and operating
systems you currently use, as well as the ones you may use in the future.

For example, I spend an equal amount of time working on Windows, OS X and
Linux.  There are a ton of great Windows-only editors out there, but they
aren't a good option for me because I only use windows 1/3 of the time I'm
at a computer.

Some good editors I know of that fall into this category are Emacs, Vim and
Eclipse.  For integrating with R, Emacs has the ESS plug-in and Eclipse has
an extension called StatET.

Eclipse is a rather large in terms of file size compared to Emacs or Vim--
also I know Emacs and Vim can be used through a ssh connection.  I'm not
sure about Eclipse as I haven't used it much.  This is important because if
you happen to be stuck on a computer that is locked down and doesn't have
your editor of choice installed there is still a chance that you will be
able to use ssh to reach a computer that does.

Personally, I use Vim and have found it just fine for my needs.

ESS: http://ess.r-project.org/
StatET:
http://www.walware.de/?page=/;jsessionid=b4d82261e53bd419d41609155e9e

-Charlie