[R] text editors

David Reinke dreinke at dowlinginc.com
Fri Feb 26 19:56:59 CET 2010

It depends on your needs, your budget, and your personal tastes. I program in a number of languages, so I want a text editor that I can configure easily. I used CodeWright for years, but it's in limbo now since Borland acquired it and no longer supports it.

I've switched over to SlickEdit. One can configure it different languages in addition to the templates that already come with it (I've built one for R). I bought it also for its other capabilities such as editing large files and binary files. Emacs and Vim are also fine. You might also look up "text editors" in Wikipedia, which gives some general advice; it also has links to comparisons of text editors and a link called 'editor war' (Emacs vs other editors).

A cardinal rule in among developers is never to try to convince someone else that your text editor is better, so take your pick.

David Reinke

Senior Transportation Engineer/Economist
Dowling Associates, Inc.
180 Grand Avenue, Suite 250
Oakland, California 94612-3774
510.839.1742 x104 (voice)
510.839.0871 (fax)
www.dowlinginc.com

 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), and may contain confidential  and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.