[R] Preserving lists in a function

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Sat Feb 27 01:51:12 CET 2010

Barry explained your first puzzle, but let  me add some explanation
and examples.

>  tmpfun <- function( a =3 ) {a}
>  tmpfun()
[1] 3
>  tmpfun(a='x')
[1] "x"

Inside the function, the value of the argument is whatever the user
supplied. The default is replaced by what the user supplies. There is
no mechanism for retaining the default structure and filling in any
missing parts. R never preserves the defaults when the user supplies
something other than the default.

For example, and using your function,

>  myfunction(list1='x')
$list1
[1] "x"

$list2
$list2$variable1
[1] "variable1"

$list2$variable2
[1] "variable2"

$list2$variable3
[1] "variable3"

$list3
$list3$variable1
[1] "character"

$list3$variable2
[1] 24

$list3$variable3
[1] 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1

$list3$variable4
[1] TRUE

>  myfunction(list1=data.frame(a=1:2, b=c('x','y')))
$list1
   a b
1 1 x
2 2 y

$list2
$list2$variable1
[1] "variable1"

$list2$variable2
[1] "variable2"

$list2$variable3
[1] "variable3"

$list3
$list3$variable1
[1] "character"

$list3$variable2
[1] 24

$list3$variable3
[1] 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1

$list3$variable4
[1] TRUE

What you put in is what you get out.

I don't know that I would deal with this the way Barry did. I would
probably write code to examine the structure of what the user
supplies, compare it to the required structure, and then fill in.

myf <- function(l1, l2, l3) {
   if (missing(l1)) {
    ## user did not supply l1, so set it = to the default
     l1 <- list(v1=1, v2=2, v3=3)
   }  else if (!is.list(l1)) {
    ## user must supply a list, if not, it's an error
    stop('l1 must be a list')
} else {
    ## user has at least supplied a list
    ## now write code to check the names of the list that the user supplied
    ## make sure the names that the user supplied are valid, if not, stop()
    ## if the user supplied too few elements, fill in the missing ones
    ## if the user supplied too many elements stop()
    ## if the user supplied all the correct elements, with all the
correct names, use what the user supplied
}

Looks complicated; maybe Barry's way is better...

-Don