[R] Defective help pages

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Feb 27 17:45:08 CET 2010

On 26/02/2010 3:22 PM, Peter Danenberg wrote:
>> This seems to be plain text help, right?
>
> It is.
>
>> Does the html version give the same result?
>
> Interestingly, the html seems to be whole; but it's less convenient to
> access from ESS, though.
>
> Do you know what program generates the plain text; and are there any
> options that govern where R looks for the plain text help files?

As of R 2.10.0, the plain text is generated by the tools::Rd2txt
function from the same source as the HTML, i.e. the parsed Rd files
stored in the .rdb file in the package help directories.

It looks as though ESS is the problem here, but I don't really know what
it is doing that could cause the symptoms you saw.

Duncan Murdoch