[R] using grep

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 18:42:44 CET 2010

Here it is using strapply in gsubfn. x is the input, followed by the
regular expression which is just New York followed by a parenthesized
string of digits.  The parenthesized portion is passed to the
function, as.numeric, and then everything is simplified using c
(otherwise we would get a list as in similar R core functions such as
strsplit).

> strapply(x, "New York(\\d+)", as.numeric, simplify = c)
[1] 722  20