[R] R help question: How can we enable useRs to contribute corrections to help files faster ?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 18:04:40 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca>
>> wrote:

>>> That looks like 2.10.x or earlier.  In R-devel (to be 2.11.0) you get:
>>>
>>> Documentation for package ‘helloJavaWorld’ version 0.0-7
>>>
>>>   * DESCRIPTION file.
>>>   * Overview of user guides and package vignettes; browse directory.
>>>
>>> Help Pages
>>> helloJavaWorld  Function to say hello from a Java class
>>>
>>> The only addition for that particular package is the link to the
>>> DESCRIPTION
>>> file, which contains most of the additional information that's on the
>>> CRAN
>>> page.  Other pages will also show links to demos and package NEWS.
>>>

>> That's great. Looks like you have already anticipated this.
>>
>> Would still be nice to have
>>
>> - a second link to the Index at the top of each help page since its
>> typically off the screen otherwise.
>>

> Yes, I agree.  In fact, I think the whole system needs to be updated.
>  Anyone like doing HTML design?
>>
>> - also if the DESCRIPTION could be HTMLized with links that would be
>> nice.  The software that puts the DESCRIPTION file info up onto CRAN
>> already can do that so the capability seems to exist.
>>

> Sure, but remember that CRAN is not part of R, so the code needs to be
> extracted from the CRAN code (which I don't have a copy of), and rewritten
> to suit the new context.  It may not be any easier to do that than to redo
> it from scratch, but in any case, it needs someone to volunteer to do it
> (and I think it should be part of the HTML design mentioned above.
>>
>> - a link from the Index or possibly right from each help page to the
>> help.start() page so that once you are in HTML you can just click
>> about rather than having to go back to R and then back into help.
>> Its normal in web pages that there is a link on every one of them back
>> to the home page.  Typically clicking the site name or logo at the top
>> gets you there.
>
> Currently from any help page you can get there in two clicks:  the "Index"
> link at the bottom of the page takes you to the package index, the up arrow
> on the package index takes you to the help.start() page.  But I agree this
> could be improved: see above.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Couldn't this be separated into short term and long term.  Surely its
trivial to add a second link to the Index at the top of every help
page and that  is the most important of all the wish list items.  That
shouldn't have to wait for a redesign (which could take some time)
since its such an annoyance.