[R] suppress output for meta in package tm

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Sat Jan 2 19:51:32 CET 2010

I don't know anything about pkg:tm, but I'll make a
couple of comments below.

Amber Jaycocks wrote:
> Hi, Peter.
>
> Thanks.  This works but is not ideal to have an external file.  The main
> reason I want to suppress the output is to speed up the processing time,
> which capture.output does indeed do.  It is a great work around for now.
>
> I am using the output to match items in a corpa to a file that contains
> metadata and then attaching the fields in the meta data file as metadata to
> each item in the corpa.  If you have any other suggestions to increase
> processing speed please let me know.  Many Thanks.
>
> for (n in 1:length(corpa)) {
or: for(n in seq_along(corpa)){

> n_corp_file <- capture.output(meta(corpa[[n]], "URI"),file="log.txt")
here, I think, you want:
capture.output(n_corp_file <- meta(corpa[[n]], "URI"), file="log.txt")

and I would use (on Windows): file="clipboard"

> #want just file not dir and file
> n_char <- nchar(n_corp_file[2])
> #nchar[1] is "file"=4 and nchar[2] is dir + filename amd nchar[3] is "UTF-8"
> = 5
> n_char_dir <- nchar(corpa_dir)
> corp_file <- substr(n_corp_file, n_char_dir + 2, n_char)
> corp_file <- corp_file[2]
> #match corpa file with meta data file
> match_index <- match(corp_file,(meta_data$file))
> if (!is.na(match_index)) {
> #attach all rows of meta_data
> meta_cols <- colnames(meta_data)
> for (col in 1:length(meta_cols)) {
> meta(corpa[[n]], meta_cols[col]) <- meta_data[match_index,meta_cols[col]] }
> } #if
> } #for n corpa

You might also find sink() to be more to your taste than
capture.output().

  -Peter

--
Peter Ehlers