[R] Thin bars in R hist !!??

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Jan 3 23:18:04 CET 2010

Whalojazz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to plot a histogram with my dataset that has 68 elements, 67 of
> which are zero and the last one is 18. It can be reproduced as follows:
>
> x<-array(0, dim=(68))
> x[1] = 18
> I am trying to plot its histogram using:
>
> hist(x, breaks=10, xlim=c(0, 100), axes=F)
> axis(2, at=seq(0, 70, 5))      #  for the y-axis
> axis(1, at=seq(0, 100, 10))  # for the x-axis
>
> As you would also see if you reproduced the plot, the bars become really
> thin. I would very much appreciate any help on fixing this issue. Thanks so
> much in advance!

You are asking for a range of data from 0 to 18 to be divided into about
10 bins, so each bin will have a width of roughly 0.2.

If this is not what you wanted, then you need to do something else,
depending on what you wanted but didn't tell...

Were you perhaps looking for hist(x, breaks=seq(0, 100,10))? (Notice
that if "breaks" is a single number, it will generate breaks based on
range(x), not xlim.)