[R] MLE optimization

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue Jan 5 00:17:34 CET 2010

"should write a function that uses the parameters and the sample data as
input and outputs the likelihood. Is it correct?"

Yes, that is correct. Take a look at the optim() function.  ?optim

What type of convergence problems did you experience with Matlab?  I am not
sure if using R can overcome fundamental modeling and computational issues,
such as over-specification of the model for the data at hand.  But, may be
you need to impose constraints on the parameter if you are fitting a
Gaussian mixture.

Another option is to use packages that are specially designed to model
finite mixtures such as "flexmix" or "mixtools".

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu