[R] positive log likelihood and BIC values from mCLUST analysis

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jan 6 23:29:53 CET 2010

Barry Hall wrote:
> My question is with respect to mCLUST and the values of BIC and log
> likelihood. The relevant part of my R script is:
>

> ######################### BEGIN MDS ANALYSIS #########################
> #load data
>  data <- read.table("Ecoli33_Barry.dis", header = TRUE, row.names = 1)
>
>  #perform MDS Scaling
>  mds <- metaMDS(data, k = Dimensions, trymax = 20, autotransform =TRUE,
> noshare = 0.1, wascores = TRUE, expand = TRUE, trace = FALSE, plot = FALSE,
> old.wa = FALSE)
>
> ######################### BEGIN EM ANALYSIS #########################
>
> #Use the points determined by MDS to perform EM clustering.
> #Allow only the unconstrained models.  Sometimes, constrained models mess
> things up!
> EMclusters <- mclustBIC(mds$points, G=Clusterrange, modelNames= c("VII",
> "VVI", "VVV"), prior=NULL, control=emControl(),
>           initialization=list(hcPairs=NULL, subset=NULL, noise=NULL),
>           Vinv=NULL, warn=FALSE, x=NULL)
>
> The input data are in the form of an N X N matrix of pairwise genetic
> distances between strains. Those distances can either be the total
> number of differences over X characters, or can be normalized to the
> fraction
> of characters that differ by dividing the number of differences by X.
>

> When the data are the total number of differences (over 5866 characters),
> the optimal model is VVV  for which BIC is -944.1225  and the likelihood
> is -452.8305.  Two clusters are found
>
> When the data are normalized to the fraction of characters that differ,
> the optimal model is VII  for which the BIC is 202.3095  and the likelihood
> is 127.3786 .  Four clusters are found.
>
> There are several things that I do not understand:
> (1)  How can log likelihood be a positive number?

Because likelihoods are densities.

> (2)	 Why should simply scaling the data change the BIC and log likelihood
> values?

Because likelihoods are densities. And/or because it is not finding the
same optimum.

> (3)	 Perhaps most important, why should scaling the data change the
> optimum model and the number of clusters?

Hmm, well... I don't really know. I wouldn't expect it if you are
scaling equally in all directions. Perhaps in theory, it shouldn't
change, but clustering models are notoriously unstable and sensitive to
starting values.  So maybe you are just seeing the effect of slightly
changed convergence paths?