[R] [R-pkgs] fortunes: 250th fortune

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 7 18:54:30 CET 2010

Hi,

Thank you for this fun package.
I recently posted a related question on R-help that seemed to pass
unnoticed. Basically, I suggested that the functionality of fortunes
could be extended to R FAQ entries, also allowing contributed packages
to provide their own (fortune or) faq data file. My initial suggestion
is here: http://markmail.org/message/oisbnuugifx5e36k

I played with the fortune() source code and it doesn't take much
effort to amend it for FAQ-like entries (I did not go as far as
converting all the official FAQ entries, that's another problem).
However such an approach is suboptimal in that most of the code would
be duplicated. Would it make sense to write a slightly more general
code working for a wider range of database entries?

Best regards,

baptiste