[R] Online R documentation

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 8 14:41:49 CET 2010

On 01/08/10 07:15, Hadley Wickham wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Many people seem unhappy with the new documentation server because you
> need to have R running to access it, and it's not immediately obvious
> how to bookmark references so they work long-term. One solution to
> this problem is to have a globally available website that provides
> access to all package documentation.

Such a website exists:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu

Right near the top is a set of links to (almost) all package
documentation.  Duncan Murdoch helped here by including an option to
build static pages in the R source.

There is also a search engine.

(And this site also backs up several mailing lists and allows those to
be searched too, although my feeling is that r-help itself is becoming
less useful, if only because of it is impossible to maintain a high
ratio of useful information to total when the activity is so great.)

What _I_ need is a mirror site.  This is an old computer.

> I'm happy to have a go at developing this, but I need some money to
> pay for hosting, for my time, and for any help I need getting it
> running efficiently.  To that end, I've set up a pledgie account at
> http://pledgie.com/campaigns/7707 - here you can donate as much or as
> little as you like to support this project.  You won't pay until the
> total amount has been pledged.
>
> Hadley

Hadley,

If you want to set this up, with the search capability, I can give you
extremely detailed (but probably still now quite adequate)
instructions.

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
Editor: Judgment and Decision Making (http://journal.sjdm.org)