[R] How to Merge based on Rows

MRKidd clistkoraelus at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 22:21:33 CET 2010

 Let's say that I have a bunch of matrices.

They look like this (pardon using fruit for examples, my actual data tables
are far too enormous):

Matrix1

      Apples   Oranges   Pears
A       5           6           7
B       5           3           4
C       8           9           10
D      11          13          14
E      15            3           8
F       1             4           5

Matrix2

      Apples     Oranges   Pears
A       5             3           9
B       3             2            1
C       3             4            5
E       8             1            4
G       3            2             1

I cannot use cbind or rbind, because I have different rows in each matrix
(e.g. - F & D are missing for Matrix2 and G is missing from Matrix1).

What I would like to have in the end is this

      Apples    Oranges    Pears     Apples   Oranges   Pears
A      5             6            7            5           3           9
B      5             3            4            3           2            1
C      8             9            10          3            4           5
D      11           13           14         NA          NA         NA
E       15          3              8           8           1            4
F       1            4             5           NA         NA         NA
G      NA          NA          NA          3            2           1

I have experimented with the merge() cmd, but my trial and error efforts
have failed miserably. If anyone knows of a way to combine these matrices
other than manually editing them together, please let me know.

p.s.
The way I have organized the matrices is such that they all have the same
column names. So Matrix 1 and Matrix 2 will have the exact same column names
- but I want the newly combined matrix to keep the columns separate. So, as
in my final example, there would be one column titled "Apples" for each
Matrix that I add in.