[R] Variable Combinations in Regression

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jan 8 23:25:50 CET 2010

On Jan 8, 2010, at 3:26 PM, Richardson, Patrick wrote:

> Let's say I have 8 variables and I want to generate all combinations
> of those variables (In pairs, threes fours, etc) to run in multiple
> linear regression. Is there a built-in function to do that in R?

The formula syntax allows that.

y ~ (x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5)^2   for instance,  would give you all 5
of the main effects and the ten two way interaction estimates. With
the "exponent set to three you also get the three way interactions
(although I have never tried this particular level of dredging.)
Unless you have scientific arguments for higher level interactions,
they are a major threat to interpretability and validity as well as a
threat to convergence.

(With 8 variables you are going to experience a combinatorial
explosion: 28 two-way terms, 56 3-way, 70 4-way and then down the
other side of Pascal's triangle.)

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories