[R] strange behavior of R

Fahim fahim.md at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 23:57:46 CET 2010

Hi
I observed an interesting behavior of R. Can you find where is the bug, or
it is not a bug but made deliberately.

> arr = c();                        #defined the empty array
> a= c("x1", "x2");
> b = c("y1", "y2");
> arr = rbind(arr,a);            #row bind the first character array -a
> arr = rbind(arr,b);            # row bind the second character array-b

Everything ok upto this point, arr content is displayed as follows
> arr
  [,1] [,2]
a "x1" "x2"
b "y1" "y2"

Now I delete any row:
arr = arr[-1,];

The value of arr is :
> arr
[1] "y1" "y2"

Problem: I want to access the first row now using:
>arr[1, ]
Error in arr[1, 1] : incorrect number of dimensions

Though it is showing the value  as under:
> arr[1]
[1] "y1"

> arr[2]
[1] "y2"

I think, when there is single row, R is considering it as an array and not
as matrix. But why it is so?????????????/

-Fahim