[R] string functions

Greg Hirson ghirson at ucdavis.edu
Sun Jan 10 01:28:16 CET 2010

Laetitia,

One approach:

lettermatch <- function(stringA, stringB) {
     sum(unique(unlist(strsplit(stringA, ""))) %in%
unique(unlist(strsplit(stringB, ""))))
}

lettermatch("Hello World","Hello Peter")
yields 6, as the l is only singly counted.

This treats uppercase and lowercase as different letters and counts how
many of the unique letters in stringA show up in stringB.

In another approach, letters are set to lowercase first. This I think
gives you what you want:

lettermatch2 <- function(stringA, stringB) {
     tb <- merge(as.data.frame(table(strsplit(tolower(stringA), ""))),
as.data.frame(table(strsplit(tolower(stringB), ""))), by="Var1")
     sum(apply(tb[-1], 1, min))
}

lettermatch("Hello World","Hello Peter")
yields 7.

Greg