[R] lme4 and function 'cholmod_start' not provided by package 'Matrix' / Ubuntu

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sun Jan 10 18:40:09 CET 2010

As Dieter points out, this is likely a mismatch between the versions
of the lme4 and the Matrix packages, which are very closely linked
together.  It appears that the version of the lme4 package is too old
for the version of the Matrix package, which is hard to catch in the
dependencies (lme4 depends on Matrix but not the other way around).
As Dieter suggests, it would be best to install the most recent
version of R which can then pull in the most recent versions of the
lme4 and Matrix packages.