[R] Illustrating kernel distribution in wheat ears

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Mon Jan 11 23:09:23 CET 2010

On 01/12/2010 12:41 AM, Carl-Göran CG. Pettersson wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the quick response!
>
> The suggested code worked fine up to a certain point: the actual plotting from the datasets...
> With the sample dataset in "samp" my code looks like this at the end:
>

>> for(cultivar in 1:6)
>>
> +   boxplot(unlist(samp[samp$cn==cultivar[cultivar],]),
> +    add=TRUE,at=cultivar)
> There were 12 warnings (use warnings() to see them)
>
>> warnings()
>>
> Warning messages:
> 1: In min(x) : no non-missing arguments to min; returning Inf
> 2: In max(x) : no non-missing arguments to max; returning -Inf
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
>
> What is happening and why?

Hi CG,
Without knowing what is in "samp", I can only guess. My first guess
would be that you have some cultivars that have no available data. Also,
note that I didn't bother to make the example general with:

for(cultivar in 1:length(cultivars))

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that "samp" might
be a matrix, in which case boxplot will try to plot each row separately,
throwing warnings each time it hits a row of NAs.

Jim