[R] 2 parameter exponential distribution

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Jan 12 00:59:42 CET 2010

John Westbury wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Say you have some variable (x) ~ exp f(x|lambda,theta) where f(x|lambda,
> theta) = lamba*(e^(minus lambda*(x-theta)))
>
> Lambda is the inverse scale parameter and theta is a location parameter
> (I erred in calling theta a shape parameter in the original question).
>
> John

  Presumably P(x)=0 for x<theta?  In which case

dexp2 <- function(x,rate=1,loc=0,log=FALSE) {
   dexp(x-loc,rate=rate,log=log)
}

rexp2 <- function(n,rate=1,loc=0) {
   rexp(n,rate=rate)+loc
}

 etc.

  It turns out that dexp(x) gives 0/-Inf for x<0 (I thought it would
give a warning, but it doesn't), so this is relatively simple.

  Of course the next question is what you actually want to do with this
distribution ...