[R] Drought Severity Index (DSI)

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Tue Jan 12 14:17:52 CET 2010

A few years ago, I work with Stuart Gage who had developed a Heat /
Precipitation Index as a measure of drought severity.  It works just as
well if not better than the Palmer Drought Index.

You can find the formula in this only pdf report:  Climate Variability in
the North Central Region:
  http://goes.msu.edu/publications/pdfs_ps/CGCEO%2085.pdf

Google search:  Stuart Gage Heat Precipitation Index

If you can not download the file.  Write to me individually and I'll send
it directly.

Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282
Fax     (305) 224 - 4147

             Muhammad Rahiz
             <muhammad.rahiz at o
             uce.ox.ac.uk>                                              To
             Sent by:                  Jim Lemon <jim at bitwrit.com.au>
             r-help-bounces at r-                                          cc
             project.org               "r-help at r-project.org"
                                       <r-help at r-project.org>
                                                                   Subject
             01/12/2010 06:21          Re: [R] Drought Severity Index
             AM                        (DSI)

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the response. I have the algorithm based on the original
paper (Bryant et al. 1994) and subsequent modification by Philips and
McGregor(1994). The latter gives the formula for calculating the index
in MS Excel. I'm trying to translate it to R.

Muhammad

Muhammad Rahiz  |  Doctoral Student in Regional Climate Modeling

Climate Research Laboratory, School of Geography & the Environment

Oxford University Centre for the Environment
South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QY, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1865-285194         Mobile: +44 (0)7854-625974
Email: muhammad.rahiz at ouce.ox.ac.uk