[R] HTML translation problem in R-2.10.1

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Jan 14 17:20:49 CET 2010

Hi Core Team,
I received an email about a problem with the help on the plotrix
package. Apparently the \link tags in the help pages were showing up as
literal text. I couldn't see this problem, nor any problem with the Rd
files. Since the plotrix package hasn't been built for a while, I
rechecked, rebuilt and reinstalled it. Sure enough, the \link tags
showed up as literal text in both text and HTML help. This may be
peculiar to R-2.10.1 as I never installed 2.10.0. If it helps, the
--no-latex tag wasn't recognized by the INSTALL command (although only
the HTML help was apparently built).

As far as I can see, the previous behavior of translating \link{ into <a
href="... and the following } into </a> has been lost. The \samp{ string
is now translated to an HTML span tag whereas I think it used to be
translated to a <code> tag and this may be where the problem lies.

I think this is all done in Perl, so I can't help with the debugging.

Jim

R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
i686-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
  [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] plotrix_2.7-2 prettyR_1.8

[1] tools_2.10.1