[R] 'nlme' library - lme function results

Michal Figurski figurski at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 15 20:59:42 CET 2010

Dear R-helpers

I am running a simple mixed effects model using lme(). The call looks
like this:
fit <- lme(Analyte~Sample, data=Data, random=~1 | Run)

I am particularly interested in the estimated random effects. When I
print the 'fit' object, it looks something like example below:

(...)
Random effects:
  Formula: ~1 | Run
         (Intercept) Residual
StdDev:    3.483794 3.637523
(...)

While I have no problem obtaining the 'Residual' value by calling
fit$sigma, I have no idea how to obtain the '(Intercept)' value from the
'fit' object. Anyone can help with that?

Best regards,

--
Michal J. Figurski, PhD
HUP, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine