[R] Hierarchical Linear Model using lme4's lmer

Doug Adams fog0 at gmx.com
Sat Jan 16 04:48:34 CET 2010

Hi,

I was wondering:  I've got a dataset where I've got student 'project's
nested within 'school's, and 'division' (elementary, junior, or
senior) at the student project level.  (Division is at the student
level and not nested within schools because some students are
registered as juniors & others as seniors within the same school.)

So schools are random, division is fixed, and the student Score is the
outcome variable.  This is what I've tried:

lmer(data=Age6m, Score ~ division + (1|school), random=~1 | school)

Am I on the right track?  Thanks everyone,   :)

Doug Adams
MStat Student
University of Utah