[R] Lattice: How to color the data points in splom() according to the panel they are plotted?

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Sun Jan 17 08:56:08 CET 2010

Marius Hofert wrote:
> Dear ExpeRts,
>
> I have the scatter plot matrix as given below. I would like the different "sub-plots" in the scatter plot matrix to be colored differently. How do I get all points shown in the upper-left plot (on position (1,1) in the scatter plot matrix) to be plotted in blue, and the points shown in the plot to the right (on position (1,2) in the scatter plot matrix) to be plotted in red? More generally, how can I provide a matrix of colors to be used by splom() such that all data points in the corresponding sub-plot of the scatter plot matrix are shown in the specified color?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marius
>
> Here is the code:
>
> library(lattice)
>
> entrymat=matrix(0,nrow=3,ncol=3)
> entrymat[1,2]="black"
> entrymat[1,3]="blue"
> entrymat[2,3]="red"
> entrymat=t(entrymat)
>
> splom(~iris[,1:3],superpanel=function(z,...){
> 	mymat.df=data.frame(rows=as.vector(row(entrymat)),cols=as.vector(col(entrymat)),entries=as.vector(entrymat))
> 	mymat.df=subset(mymat.df,cols<rows)
> 		with(mymat.df,{
> 			panel.text(x=rows,y=cols,labels=entries)
> 		})
> 		panel.pairs(z,upper.panel=panel.splom,lower.panel=function(...){},...)
> 	},varnames=c("1","2","3")
> )

I think that you will have to modify panel.pairs to get what
you want. But I must admit that I can't see why you would
want such a plot. What's achieved by having different
colours in different subpanels? And you would lose the
ability to colour groups differently (or things would become
really complicated and messy).

Attached is a modified panel.pairs function (but don't let
Deepayan see it; he'll probably be horrified by the
kludginess). Source the file and then try:

splom(~iris[1:3], superpanel = mypanel.pairs,
   clrmat = matrix(1:9,3,3))
splom(~iris[1:3], superpanel = mypanel.pairs,
   clrmat = matrix(c(NA,1,1,2,NA,4,2,6,NA),3,3))
theclrs <- matrix(c(NA,1,1,1,2,NA,3,3,2,4,NA,4,2,5,5,NA),4,4)
splom(~iris[1:4], superpanel = mypanel.pairs,
   clrmat = theclrs)

  -Peter Ehlers

Peter Ehlers
University of Calgary