[R] Help using Cast (Text) Version

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 18:36:00 CET 2010

On Jan 17, 2010, at 11:56 AM, Steve Sidney wrote:

> David
>
> Thanks, I'll try that......but no what I need is the total (1's) for
> each of the rows, labelled 1-6 at the top of each col in the table
> provided.

Part of my confusion with your request (which remains unaddressed) is
what you mean by "valid". The melt-cast operation has turned a bunch
of NA's into 0's which are now indistinguishable from the original
0's. So I don't see any way that operating on "b" could tell you the
numbers you are asking for. If you were working on the original data,
"res", you might have gotten the column-wise "valid" counts of column
2 with something like:

  sum( !is.na(res[,2]) )

> What I guess I am not sure of is how to identify the col after the
> melt and cast.

The cast object represents columns as a list of vectors. The i-th
column is b[[i]] which could be further referenced as a vector. So the
j-th row entry for the i-th column would be b[[i]][j].

> Steve
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Winsemius" <dwinsemius at comcast.net

>>> 2  4gcyi  0  0  1  0  0  0
>>> 3  5d3hh  0  0  0 NA  0  0
>>> 4  5d3wt  0  0  0  0  0  0
>>> .
>>> . lines deleted to save space
>>> .
>>> 69 v3st5 NA NA  1 NA NA NA
>>> 70 a22g5 NA  0 NA NA NA NA
>>> 71 b5dd3 NA  0 NA NA NA NA
>>> 72 g44d2 NA  0 NA NA NA NA
>>>
>>> Data after using sum and margins
>>>
>>>   lab 1 2 3 4 5 6 (all)
>>> 1  4er66 1 0 1 0 0 0     2
>>> 2  4gcyi 0 0 1 0 0 0     1
>>> 3  5d3hh 0 0 0 0 0 0     0
>>> 4  5d3wt 0 0 0 0 0 0     0
>>> 5  6n44r 0 0 0 0 0 0     0
>>> .
>>> .lines deleted to save space
>>> .
>>> 70 a22g5 0 0 0 0 0 0     0
>>> 71 b5dd3 0 0 0 0 0 0     0
>>> 72 g44d2 0 0 0 0 0 0     0
>>> 73 (all) 5 2 4 3 5 7    26
>>>
>>> Uisng length just tells me how many total rows there are.
>>

>>> What I need to do is count how many rows there is valid data, in
>>> this case either a one (1) or a zero (0) in b
>>
>> I'm guessing that you mean to apply that test to the column in b
>> labeled "(all)" . If that's the case, then something like
>> (obviously  untested):
>>
>> sum( b$'(all)' == 1 | b$'(all)' == 0)
>>

>>> I have a report to construct for tomorrow Mon so any help would be
>>> appreciated
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Steve
>>
>> David Winsemius, MD