[R] Exporting a data.frame to excel using sqlSave - adds a character ' to values

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Mon Jan 18 14:49:58 CET 2010

Tal Galili wrote:

> I am using RODB to export multiple data.frames into one excel file with
> multiple sheets.
> One thing I can't seem to unserdatand is way the command adds the
> character:
> '
> To the beginning of each of my (non numeric) values.

This might be a problem of you running in Hebrew locale; on my machine
(German) this does not occur. However, I can manually add a ' in front both
of numbers and texts to denote the column as a string; the ' only shows up
in the edit field on the top row, not in the data, indicating that this is a
"forced string" value.

Try to read back you data. I believe your strings will be ok.

Dieter