[R] Problem extracting from mer objects

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Mon Jan 18 23:21:22 CET 2010

Chris Ramsborg <ramsborg <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> I am having a problem extracting from "mer" objects.
>
> I have constructed my problem using existing datasets.
>
> Using the following commands:
>
> require(lme4)
> fm1 <- lmer(Yield ~ 1 + (1 | Batch), Dyestuff)
> fixef(fm1)
>
> I get the following error message:
> "Error in UseMethod("fixef") : no applicable method for "fixef""

  [FWIW, questions on nlme/lmer might better be directed
to r-sig-mixed-models at lists.r-project.org]

  Do you have the nlme package loaded simultaneously
(you shouldn't) ?
  I can get almost (but not quite) the same error message
by doing the following:

> require(lme4)
> fm1 <- lmer(Yield ~ 1 + (1 | Batch), Dyestuff)
> fixef(fm1)
(Intercept)
     1527.5

> library(nlme)

Attaching package: 'nlme'

	The following object(s) are masked from package:lme4 :

	 BIC,
	 fixef,
	 lmList,
	 ranef,
	 VarCorr

> fixef(fm1)
Error in UseMethod("fixef") :
  no applicable method for 'fixef' applied to an object of class "mer"