[R] Help deciphering segfault in make check

Seth Falcon seth at userprimary.net
Tue Jan 19 23:16:18 CET 2010

Hi,

On 1/19/10 12:05 PM, Karl-Dieter Crisman wrote:
> I work with the Sage project, and we are trying to improve the ability
> to use R through Sage.  Most things work, but make check seems to
> cause problems on certain platforms, and now that we want to upgrade
> to 2.10.1 I thought we should ask for help!

This discussion might be more appropriate for R-devel.  I'm not all that
familiar with the Sage project and it isn't clear to me whether what you
are seeing is in any way Sage-specific.

If you are getting this segfault from a basic configure/make/make check
sequence and you can reproduce the crash, then further debugging steps
will likely be of interest.

> R builds just fine on both Mac and Linux, but some things in make
> check seem to break on certain Linux boxes that don't on Mac or other
> machines.  Here is an example from (Red Hat?) in doing the basic
> tests, in src/tests/Examples/, where base-Ex.R seems to have a
> problem, at the end of base-Ex.Rout.fail:
>
>> ### Name: groupGeneric
>> ### Title: S3 Group Generic Functions
>> ### Aliases: S3groupGeneric .Group Math Math.data.frame Ops Ops.data.frame
>> ###   Summary Summary.data.frame Complex 'group generic'
>>
>> ### ** Examples
>>
>> require(utils)
>>
>> d.fr<- data.frame(x=1:9, y=stats::rnorm(9))
>> class(1 + d.fr) == "data.frame" ##-- add to d.f. ...
> [1] TRUE
>>
>> methods("Math")
>
>   *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x4b8, cause 'memory not mapped'

You might be able to reproduce this and get some more information like this:

    R -d gdb
    run
    source("src/tests/Examples/base-Ex.R")

Assuming you get a crash, type bt in the gdb console and send output.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | @sfalcon | http://userprimary.net/user