[R] Greek letters on a multi-line plot title

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 20 22:49:40 CET 2010

Jason Rupert wrote:
> I have an instance where I need to include Greek letters on a plot title that is multiple lines.
>
> I've searched the forums for an approach to do this, but most of the previous posts and replies seem to just address instances of single line examples and problems:, e.g.
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/1999-October/005096.html
>
> I tried implementing those suggestions, e.g. "expression(paste(...))", but that seemed to remove all the line split formating, i.e. "\n".
>
> In the example code below I would like the sigma to be the lower case Greek symbol for sigma.  Actually I would like the x and y to be subscripts of the lower case Greek symbol, but I suppose that is the next step.  I guess the key is that I would like to maintain the multiple line title while having the Greek letters.
>
> Thanks again for any feedback. and insights.
>

> number_vals<-100
> x<-rnorm(number_vals)
> y<-rnorm(number_vals)
> plot(1, 1,
>      xlim= c(min(x), max(x)),
>      ylim= c(min(y), max(y)), col=0)
> points(x, y)
> the_expression<-paste("Plotting y vs. x",
>                       "\n sigma x = ", format(sd(x), digits=4, scientific=F),
>                       "\n sigma y = ", format(sd(y), digits=4, scientific=F),  sep="")
>
> title(the_expression)
> grid()

When confronted with this problem, after many failed attempts, I have
had to resort to mtext.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics