[R] Yet another question about importing Excel *.xls files

Jerry Floren jerry.floren at state.mn.us
Thu Jan 21 17:20:52 CET 2010

Hi Gabor,

Thanks for all of your help and the additional code. Sorry, about the
confusion on my part about the directory and file names.

Since my first posts, I have simplified file names, directory names, and the
spreadsheets by removing all the worksheets but the one needed. I tried this
code, but had the same error messages:

> library(gdata)

Attaching package: 'gdata'

        The following object(s) are masked from package:utils :

         object.size

> read.xls("C:\\TestR\\Soiltest.xls", as.is = TRUE)
Converting xls file to csv file... Error in system(cmd, intern = !verbose) :
perl not found
Error in file.exists(tfn) : invalid 'file' argument

Several times when loading packages, or even data, I see the "object(s) are
masked" message. Is that significant?

David Winsemius suggested that I need to install Perl. I hope to get that
done today, but need to get approval before it can be installed. I am using
Windows XP, but it looks like Strawberry Perl should work. I also use R
version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24).

Thanks,

Jerry Floren
Minnesota Department of Agriculture