[R] Updating R on Linux

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jan 21 17:46:20 CET 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 11:00 AM, <mauede at alice.it> <mauede at alice.it> wrote:

> I know my question has been asked many times. Please, forgive me for
> asking it once more.
> It's time to update R version.
> I run R on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS/X.
> I think I remember on Windows R comes with the un-installer. So I
> uninstall it first and then I install the latest version.
> On Mac OS I have no experience of updating R ... I think (and hope)
> all what I have to do is to drag R
> icon from the Applications folder into the Trashcan .. This simple
> operation should get rid of all R
> files from all the folders where they are placed during the
> installation procedure.

No. The R icon in the Applications folder is the GUI front-end. The R
versions and supporting modules are stored in the Frameworks folder.
If you are going to a new version within a major release, i.e. R
2.10.0x to 2.10.1 then you may not need to trash the GUI. And major
version upgrades get new folders anyway and the /Current/ links get
updated. Then you would need a new GUI, but the old GUI would get
overwritten anyway with a new release when you dragged the R.app and
R64.app from the disk image to the Applications folder, unless you
rename them first.