[R] exact wilcox test and Bonferroni correction

netrunner giovanna.varni at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 15:24:38 CET 2010

Dear Michael,
thank you very much for your help.

I perfomed the wilcox.exact function on each of the 8 items for the two
groups that I am analysing (that is, I performed 8 times the wilcox test).
Here an example for the values (ratings from a questionnaire) of one of the
8 items:

a1=5  9 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

b1=7   5  10 NaN  10  10   8  10  10   8   9   9

wilcox.exact(a1,b1, alternative="two.sided", mu=0, paired=FALSE, exact=TRUE,
conf.level=0.95)

I obtained:

data:  a1 and b1
W = 73.5, p-value = 0.1514
alternative hypothesis: true mu is not equal to 0

Then I adjusted p-values using p.adjust.

For the example above the p-bonferroni value was 1. The threshold p-value is
0.00625 (that is 0.05/8)
Finally, because p-bonferroni > 0.00625 can I conclude that for each item my
samples are from the same distribution?

I am a little bit confused....

thank you!

netrunner